This site may earn affiliate commissions from the links on this folio. Terms of employ.

What a yr it's been for virtual reality: The HTC Vive and the Oculus Rift are available now, Google and Microsoft are investing heavily in its future, and the PlayStation VR is only iv months abroad from hitting store shelves. In preparation for the third major VR launch of the twelvemonth, Sony is demoing its headset beyond the United states and Canada, and nosotros finally had the opportunity to attempt out the PSVR.

Final Friday, my girlfriend and I took a detour on our trip to Pennsylvania, and spent some quality fourth dimension at a Best Buy in northern Delaware. We stood in line behind three people, and ended upwards waiting about twenty minutes in the heart of the afternoon. When my turn arrived, I saw two PS Move controllers sitting on the tabular array, so I asked if any of the demos supported them. Sadly, none of them did. Instead, the representative recommended that I endeavor Eve: Valkyrie — a space dogfighting game set in the universe of Eve Online, and a game our own Joel Hruska first tested with a PC and proprietary VR headset at AMD's E3 event final year.

The $399 PSVR is something we can all soon buy for ourselves, though, and nosotros were eager to exam it out. The representative placed the helmet on my head, and instructed me to press a small push on the bottom to properly focus on the screen. The headset was light on my neck, and adjusting it for a articulate image was extraordinarily unproblematic. Later a brief run-down of how to play, the rep put on my headphones, and I immediately felt immersed. The field of view was slightly bigger than I was anticipating, and the head tracking was dead-on.

Even when I snapped my head quickly to the side, the visuals kept upwards nicely. Unfortunately, everything looked a bit more pixelated than I was hoping for. The cockpit was especially low-res, and it made me wonder if the game was even rendering at a full 1080p. Simply at the very least, the frame rate and head tracking kept the nausea abroad.

As for the game itself, I didn't have much fun. The movement was inverted, and there was no fashion to fix it in the current build. I simply had around five or 6 minutes to actually play the game, so the start one-half of my experience was spent trying to recoup for a control scheme that my brain wasn't pleased with. Beyond that, it was just a straightforward shooter. If it didn't have the novelty of VR supporting it, I can't imagine information technology being very enticing.

My girlfriend took the seat adjacent, and she decided to try the "Into The Deep" demo from the VR Worlds compilation. This feel put her in a virtual dive cage, and let her look around as she sank deeper and deeper into the ocean. There was no controller needed for this demo, so she spent virtually of her time craning her neck to see all of the sea life. She wasn't bowled over in the way the Sony rep seemed to expect, but her overall impression was positive.

When the PSVR ships on October 13th, she'southward definitely interested in playing more. And after using the hardware first-manus, I feel the same way. I'll just be certain to steer clear of EVE.

If yous want to effort out the PlayStation VR for yourself, head over to Sony's "Feel PlayStation VR" page. Curlicue downwardly to the map, blazon in your ZIP lawmaking and the distance yous're willing to travel. If you live in a densely populated surface area of the U.s.a. or Canada, at that place'due south a adept take a chance that you'll find a participating All-time Buy, GameStop, or EB Games.

Fifty-fifty if they're aren't whatsoever kiosks available nigh you, not all hope is lost. Sony is adding more retail locations and dates to this promotion, and PSVRs are likewise beingness demoed along with the Road to Greatness tour. It wouldn't be surprising at all to meet a substantial uptick in demo availability as the launch grows closer, and then just concord tight if your local stores don't have a PSVR just still.